Thursday, November 25, 2010

Trailers Number One

So the first thing I need is a trailer.

Size: Cause if you don't know what you want before you go shopping....

So still being in research mode, I start looking at trailers of course the first consideration is size. I want enough room for sitting down and a good bed, having a little extra room for a few creature comforts includes a place for setting up the Coleman stove if I find the weather has really changed. So the size for a  basic small utility flatbeds are 5x8 and 5x10. I measured out these two spaces on the floor in the living room, and after confusing the cats for a while, I have figured out with my wish list for size I will want a single axle 5x10.

Now that I have the size, the next decision.New or Used.

I have been looking on Craigslist for what is available for used trailers but there are few true flat beds. Most in my area are being listed have a one foot high railing around the front and sides and more often than not, they are coming with a (for me anyway) useless ramp that I would have to take off.  And the books I have read so far are suggesting that if you do buy a used trailer that you remove everything and re-grease everything as well as checking all the parts over. So with all that work going into a used trailer a given, and I'm just nervous enough to want to not risk everything and am leaning towards purchasing a new trailer.


Now to find one.

There are new ones at the Tractor Supply Company and I'll be checking the other major lumber yard in town tomorrow as well as a trailer seller one town over.  I found a in state trailer manufacturer that I thought might be the best place to purchase a trailer from. Their website indicated that they would be able to work with customers for special orders, so I emailed them asking what the base price for one that I thought would be a perfect fit. They didn't answer the question and send me to my 'local' retailer. An hour away... (Can you say lost sale there folks).  I've found a small trailer store in the next town 10 miles away so I'll go out there on Monday and check them out for prices and options and see if they can do customizations or could recommend someone if I need a welder.

So still in research mode I wandered into my local DMV and asked about modifying a trailer into a travel trailer and what the requirements would be. I think I scared the poor ladies forced to work the day before Thanksgiving.  After I had to explain, twice that I wasn't modifying a travel trailer, I was buying a trailer and building a trailer onto it, they finally decided that I would have to a) register the trailer and then after the modifications/build it would have to be b) Inspected by some guy. ???? (From here on out I shall call him the Vardo Inspector or VI)  I have the gentleman's phone number and again I'll call after the holiday and find out if this wonderful person has more information about what I need for getting my Vardo that isn't even built yet, legal.

Trailer Modifications: Now the reason I want modifications is that Go House Go book from Portland Alternative Dwellings, recommends one way to attach a small house to a trailer which will require modifications to the frame, I'm waiting on Jay Shafer's book to take a look that those recommendations and what the 'Vardo Inspector' may comment on. There are even plans for the Dom Vardo' from Portland Alternative Dwellings, that I may have to buy if it will get the VI to go along with my plans. I don't want to have troubles if I can avoid them now. FYI: The Go House Go book is an ebook FYI: It doesn't say that anywhere on their website and you have to pay through Pay Pal. But Ms. Dee is willing to answer any questions you might have. I haven't had any YET, but.... 

At this point I'm off to cook Thanksgiving Dinner for my next door neighbor and myself. Neither of us could get 'home' i.e. to other family this Thanksgiving so we've decided to celebrate together.

Happy Thanksgiving All.

No comments:

Post a Comment